Now that you have decided to sell your property, whether as a FSBO (for sale by owner) or by hiring a listing agent, there are certain things to keep in mind.
- Sit down with an agent to discuss their opinion of value and take notes on how they would market the property. Contact one of our agents for a free property valuation.
- Ask the agent to share the active listings and sales comparables in your area, so you can decide on an asking price.
- The next step is to sign a listing agreement so that your agent can start marketing and showing the property.
- Once you receive an offer, your agent will answer any questions, make recommendations and help you negotiate the final contract.
- Your agent should monitor the contract dates and stay in communication with you up until the date of closing.
When hiring a listing agent to sell your property, the work and advertising are done for you. On the other hand, if you decide to try and sell the property yourself, you need to figure out all the paperwork, coordinate the marketing and make contract decisions. Some people may turn to hire an attorney to help with the contract review, but that does not help you decide on the price or provide you with a market expert to handle the buyer negotiations.